Upon reading the instructions, I couldn’t figure out (still at this point not understanding there is a difference) where they bought 72″ wide tulle. All I could find was 6″ wide. There is a really big length disparity there! But we plugged away using the (all ready purchased) 6″ roll. Frustration starts here…why, oh, why I make things harder for myself, I don’t know. And poor Kathy and Sarah decided to help me. “We can help you” is probably something they will never say to me again.
I can’t even begin to tell you how we adjusted the pattern. I think I have blocked it from my mind entirely. It went something like we made the lengths what was called for in the width and our widths the lengths. Clear as mud? Example, it calls for a piece 15″ long x 72″ wide first, folded in half, making it 7 1/2″ by 72″. Then you run a basting stitch close to the fold about 1/4″ in. We made our tulle 72″ long and didn’t fold it. We left it 6″ (remember that was the width of the roll?) by 72″ then ran a basting stitch 1/4″ in. Confused yet, yeah. Trust me, just stick to the pattern, you will be happy and saner for it in the long run. We started third row down since our tallest tree was 12″ high instead of 18″, it worked out good with that being the base. Speaking of the base, my husband cut some hickory logs and we glued four 12″, four 9″ and then four 6″ dowels. That gave use three size trees for each table.
Hindsight is 20/20 right? I should have used a lighter color paint for the dowels. I just wanted them to kind of fade into the tree. This color was a little more obvious.
Again, do yourself a favor and follow the pattern. Don’t do it my dum-dum way. I even got desperate and went searching for a different pattern that used the 6″ roll or an easier way than sewing. I haven’t used my sewing machine in years. Very, very rusty I was. None to be found. Trust me, this is not meant to be a tutorial. One, I stink at tuts and two, I really can’t bear to re-visit this horror.
Just keep sewing the net according to the directions and in about two weeks you MIGHT have a completed tree. Our 12″ tree had about 10 rings starting at the 12″ by 72″ line in the pattern. Now it was time to get to the easy part, decorating. I found a bag of wood snowflakes at Hobby Lobby. Painting is something I can do and it was a relief to get to that part of the project. It meant we were also done. That ol’ hindsight again, I should have bought snowflakes in three different sizes as the large were a little too overpowering on the small trees. I wanted this over and done with pronto and wasn’t about to scrap those and hunt down more. We did sprinkle the snowflakes with glitter to add a little sparkle.
Here is a picture of them almost done. They are all naked and hanging out waiting on the ornaments. Which we hadn’t purchased at this point. I found mini glitter balls in various sizes and hot glued all over the trees.
This is a what NOT to do in making tulle..umm..I mean…nylon net trees. For all the trouble they were, it was worth it. The tables were simple and beautiful. You can see the luminaries from Mason jars and Epsom salt, also the glitter ornaments (minus the clothes) on the tables too. I used white vinyl to put Merry Christmas on one side and 2011 on the other. I made enough for everyone to take an ornament home. It was my gift to the ladies for coming.
Hope I didn’t confuse you guys too much and you enjoyed hearing about my misery. At least you know you are not alone when you have a really bad crafting day. It all works out in the end, doesn’t it. LOL Have a great day crafting!